The Normandy Farm
The Baroness ordered the construction of the Normandy Farm in 1892 for her son, whom she predestined to study agronomy and zoology; but he preferred to study medicine.
The Farm was built in the spirit of Deauville, a seaside resort that was very fashionable at the time, hence the name "Norman Farm". It is also reminiscent of the Hameau du Domaine de Chantilly or the Hameau de la Reine in Versailles.
Architecturally, we note the use of half-timbering and bricks and an alternation of white stones and bricks in a checkerboard pattern on the west façade. Two small figures (a flautist and a violinist) show the Baroness' taste for the arts and music.
The Baroness was very involved in local life: creation of schools, libraries, and hospitals in Gouvieux and Berck-sur-Mer. During the First World War, she invested herself in the care of the wounded. She died in 1931.
She bequeathed the site Les Fontaines to her son, Henri, a doctor and playwright who preferred to settle in Paris and only came occasionally to the Domaine.
Today, the Normandy Farm has become the privileged place for ‘Break at the Country’ meetings or lunches.